With a newborn, it's been hard to get my beauty routine back on track. I was never a high maintenance type of girl anyways but the few things that I did do made a huge difference, and I find myself now always having to make the choice between putting on makeup or brushing my hair. The struggle is real mamas. My daily beauty ritual used to consist of some under eye concealer, mascara, foundation and a lip gloss (and ALWAYS some SPF). Since Zane arrived, I'm lucky to get out the door not covered in spit up.
Dark circles have become a normal part of my daily look (like most new mothers) and no matter how much sleep I get, I always seem to need more and I've accepted and decided to rock my dark circles... said no woman EVER. In an attempt to make my morning ritual easier (which is what we all ultimately want!), and to draw the eye away from the dark circles, I decided to try some eyelash extensions! I went to someone who was referred to me... I definitely believe in referrals instead of google when possible. The woman I went to see applies, what she calls, Russian volume extensions, which is a type of extension that maximizes volume and minimizes damage to your natural lashes. Imagine a fan type of look where 5 extensions (in the shape of a fan) are attached to each of your natural lashes. They are supposed to be thinner and weigh less than traditional lash extensions so they aren't supposed to weigh down your natural lashes or feel heavy on the eye. They are glued on super close to the root and as your natural lashes fall off (just like the hair on your head does), the extensions fall with it! Apparently if they are applied properly, they are supposed to cause no damage to your natural lashes.
I called around to a few places in my area and in general, they seem to cost between $120-$150 for the first time and the appointment can take anywhere from 1.5-3 hours. The fill appointments range from $35-$60 depending on how many lashes you need replaced. Taking care of them is relatively simple - no rubbing your eyes aggressively and no sleeping face down at night (who does that anyways?!).
This is my third week with them and here's what I think.
- I feel like my eyes look more open, awake, and they definitely do the job of drawing the attention away from my dark circles.
- I always look like I have killer mascara on.
- I will never need mascara again
- Because I don't generally wear a lot of makeup, I find the Russian volume lashes a bit too fake looking for me. On my friend who referred me, they look fantastic, but on me they seem a bit out of place. I feel like I am ready to go to a club to be honest with you.
- The maintenance: As my lashes naturally fall out, and along with them the extensions, I am noticing bald patches because my new natural lashes that are growing in are so much thinner and shorter than the extensions. I would probably need to get a fill every 2 weeks to be happy which could cost me an extra $100/month.
I've included a before and after picture on the bottom! Despite thinking that they are a bit too bold for my face, I am not completely deterred. I will be going back on Tuesday for a fill using a different and more natural technique. Stay tuned to see the results!
If you enjoyed this blog post, follow me!Follow